WIP: Untitled Tessellation #2

wip1 wip2 wip3 wip4 wip5

Five images to show for my first update on my new tessellation project.

The first three images are from my brainstorming session. I decided to take a different approach to coming up with the design. Instead of cutting and taping pieces from a square of cardstock, I pulled out an old pad of graph paper I had lying around. I experimented with shapes and rotations and symmetry. Eventually I came upon a base shape that I liked and what I chose is what you see developing in the last two images.

I’m also experimenting with using color to help keep my guidelines in some semblance of order. I used colored pencils to mark out shapes and lines so that I could make certain that everything was repeated and rotated/reflected properly.

That… took a lot more time than I had thought it would.

On the other hand, though, the meticulous exercise was rather soothing.

I feel like I’m really going to enjoy this project.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s