Do you want to know a little more about me as a person?
Here are five random samples of personal trivia that have nothing to do with art and everything to do with me.
1. I am an avid fan of audio dramas. Though movies and TV shows are all well and good, and I definitely have my favorites, there is a special place in my heart for audio only entertainment. I am a huge fan of both old-time radio shows (like “Dragnet“, “Suspense“, and “The Adventures of Superman“) and modern podcast revivals (like “19 Nocturne Boulevard“, “Black Jack Justice“, and “Welcome to Night Vale“).
2. I am multiracial. When people see my name, they usually assume I’m Hispanic, which is partially correct. The reality is a little more complicated. While my father is Hispanic, my mother is South Korean. Additionally, my father is more than just Hispanic. On his side of the family, there is confirmed Mexican, Native American (Shawnee), and Spanish ancestry.
3. I love to write. It’s as simple as that. I love to create stories and write poetry. Currently, I’m in the midst of participating in National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), which is an annual challenge to write a 50,000 word manuscript in 30 days.
4. I’m a Unitarian Universalist. When I was a child, I was raised in a Roman Catholic faith. However, as I got older, I had a major crisis of faith and ended up leaving the Catholic Church. I considered myself humanist agnostic for the majority of my 20s. Years later, when my eldest daughter started getting curious about religion, I sought out a non-denominational faith that would be supportive of her finding her own faith while teaching her good moral lessons. I want my children to be good people for the sake of making the world a better place, rather than as a way to get a ticket into Heaven or at least to stay out of Hell. I actually never expected to find a church like that, but then I found First Universalist of Denver. Then I learned about the history of the religion, and that members included such notable historical figures as Ralph Waldo Emerson, Susan B. Anthony, Louisa May Alcott, Kurt Vonnegut, and at least four US presidents.
5. I’m a lifelong fan of fantasy RPGs. Since I was a child, I have always loved role playing games of all sorts. I’ve played them via computers, video game systems, pen-and-paper, and online journals/forums. Some of my favorite series include Final Fantasy (FF1 through FF12), Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls, Warcraft, and Legend of Zelda. Currently, I’m playing “Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim”, although I’ve gotten far enough along that I’m side-eying my copy of “Tales of Vesperia” as a change of scenery.